It has been quite awhile since I have posted on my blog, basically I have been lost. I barely made it through December due to migraines, which just seemed to blend each day together. My activity on social media came to a standstill, very little Twittering, Instagram, Facebook, and blogging, well no activity there. The daily news was depressing, so I even ignored it. Did I find it difficult cutting back? Not at all.
During this time I have been busy with life, enjoying woodworking immensely, and yoga. In December, I finished painting the life-size Nutcracker our eldest daughter gave me. It was positioned in the front window, then after Christmas was moved upstairs to the bedroom window. I had really wanted to have it grace the front porch, but I was vetoed by my husband, and son. I think manly because I had wanted them to bolt the base to the porch. Oh well, it look fabulous in the window.
For Christmas I also made two new wreaths for the front and back doors.
In January we celebrated Bear’s 6th birthday; this means a hat, and a peanut butter sandwich.
Woodworking has also kept me quite busy. During the past few months, I’ve completed the construction of a bedside table for my husband, and two new dog dish stands for Bear and Cocoa.
My latest project is a cribbage board for middle child. She had asked me to make one for her, so that she can teach her boyfriend to play. For the board I cut, planed, and joined together walnut and pine (sadly I did not enough walnut for an entire board). Next, I used the band-saw to make the top curve, then I routered the top edge, and bottom. I printed out a template for the holes. Using an awl, I punched a hole so the drill would be able to grab, and drill down. Two hundred holes were quite easy to do, it was just very time-consuming, but with persistence I was able to drill all 200 in two and a half hours.
Since I did not create a slot on the bottom of the cribbage board for the pegs, I am constructing a base for it to sit on. The base will have a place for the cards, and the pegs. It will be attached to the top with magnets and a wooden dowel, so it can swivel. I should have this completed in my next class, then it is just sanding, any touch-ups needed, and finally staining.
Until next time…