Microwaves, smartphones, peanut butter, and sleep walking

For some reason my sleep-walking has become worse over the past few weeks. Besides the usual things like rearranging the towels, or being found sitting on the edge of the bed, or waking up on the toilet, I have awoken in the kitchen after microwaving my smartphone.

When my husband Matt has found me sitting on the edge of the bed, I tend to be talking to myself. Sometimes he can understand what I am saying, but mostly I am mumbling gibberish. Eventually I return to laying down in the bed, and in the morning have no recollection of the incident.

I can understand being asleep on the loo. Obviously I have gone there to do my business, and well I just don’t leave for some reason. It is not a good place to sleep for any length of time, when I do wake up, my ass is sore, to be blunt. Toilet seats need to be heated and cushioned.

The other night I found myself in the kitchen. I had filled the dog treat jar (an old cookie jar) with water. Did I turn on the tap or take the jug of water from the refrigerator? Haven’t a clue. We use a butter bell for our butter. I found I had filled the bottom half of the container which is supposed to house the water, with butter. Again, I don’t know why. What woke me this time? Apparently I had been trying to open the jar of peanut butter but didn’t succeed. Now I don’t even like peanut butter all that much, we have it mainly for the dogs. Cocoa won’t take his daily arthritis medicine without a scoop of peanut butter.

The most interesting sleep-walking experience of 2015 is when I mistook my beloved Blackberry Z10 for a heating pad (the ones you can toss in the microwave or freezer). I have been in a lot of pain since Christmas, having done far too much with not enough rest. My pain level was reaching unmanageable levels, so I was sleeping with two heating pads on my back. Sometime during the night, I assume after they had cooled off, I placed both of them on the headboard above the bed.

Next well still asleep, I picked up my smartphone (again something I normally do when walking down the stairs at night, it has a flashlight I turn on so I won’t fall, but then I placed it in the microwave. I can only assume I thought it to be my new heating pad as I entered the time of 2 minutes and 20 seconds – the time it takes to warm the pads up. After about say a minute and thirty seconds, I saw flames in the microwave. My smartphone was on fire! I opened the door, smoke bellowed out, but realizing oxygen just makes the fire worse, I slam the door closed, and turn off the microwave.

The smoke alarms are blaring as I grab a soaking wet cloth, open the door again, and toss the cloth on the phone. The flames are out so I toss my Blackberry in a pot of water, which had been left in the sink to soak from the previous night’s dinner. At the same time the young man and my husband have run downstairs. The young man was thinking he could be the hero, saving us all from a fire, only to find his mother, me, standing by the sink saying WTF over and over. The young man is disappointed and believe what I have just done.Hubby goes around opening windows, and turning on our ceiling fans, in effort to remove the toxic smoke that has filled the first floor of our house.

I cut my smartphone out of the otter box, which had melted just a little. I’m a mess, still saying “WTF, how in the hell could I have mistaken my phone for a heating pad”. My husband takes the phone from me, and removes the back off to see if my SIM card or media card have survived. Well the SIM card pretty much melted but my media card seems to be alright. Matt takes my media card and inserts it in his phone, and finds it works perfectly well. There is some good news, my photographs are all there, my contacts, etc., but I’m stunned by what has happened, not knowing whether to laugh or cry.

My Blackberry Z10 after being microwaved

Note: Never ever open the microwave door when there is a fire inside, unplug it. Also never microwave your phone.

Children and cell phones

Years ago middle child attended a different school then her siblings. Her school was a considerable distance from our house, and because she was occasionally walking back and forth, my husband and I decided it was best she had a cell phone for emergency purposes. We purchased her a simple pay and go phone with texting, and a few extra dollars were put on the phone in case she felt it necessary to call one of us. There was no data plan, thus there were no app’s installed. In cases of emergency, individuals can still dial 911 for police/ambulance/fire at no cost.

Now there are many arguments both good and bad, in regards to whether or not children in elementary school should have cell phones. In our case, we were extremely happy that our daughter did have a cell phone. Why? On one of her walks home from grade seven, in the company of other kids, a child in her class decided it would be fun to throw large, yes large rocks at my daughter and her friends. Well, one of the large rocks hit the entire right side of my daughters face. We were very lucky that her eye was not damaged but the side of her face was bruised and swollen for days after. By having a cell phone on her, she was immediately able to phone us.

One of the main reasons for today’s blog was because I read an excellent but very scary story on the Yummy Mummy Club’s website. It was about a child who thought she was texting another child, when in fact it was an adult posing as a twelve year old. If you would like to read the story, it’s called “TextPlus Scare” by Maureen Turner.

Note: The rock incident happened off school property but the elementary school my daughter attended had a fabulous Principal at the time. After speaking to her about the incident, she decided that even though the attack happened off school property after school hours, she still felt it would be appropriate that the child was punished. Sadly this child had been in trouble many times, and had inattentive parents, instead of suspension which is the punishment in most cases, we decided that the child should still attend school and an appropriate punishment would occur there.