For the past few months I have been suffering from extreme exhaustion. I have been to see my family doctor numerous times in order to try to figure out what is wrong with me. Exhaustion is different from being tired, my entire body just feels horrid, my muscles hurt, concentration is affected, and I keep falling asleep, which has forced me to give up driving for the time being.  I already know I have a problem with my b12 levels, so I take daily supplements and receive weekly injections, but this has not helped lately. The doctor and I discussed a few things that could be causing the exhaustion, one of them being a very bad flare-up from my fibromyalgia, in combination with the perimenopause I suffer from. Blood tests have been taken and last week I was sent for a sleep study.

The sleep study was to determine whether or not I suffer from any type of sleep disorders, such as Sleep Apnea, Periodic Limb Movement Disorder, REM Behaviour Disorder or Narcolepsy. I do not think I suffer from any of these sleep disorders but I was willing to try anything in order to get to the bottom of this. For the sleep study to happen, the technician first has to hook me up with lots of wires.  There were wires glued to my head, my face, my chest, my throat, and my legs. My heart rate was monitored, my brain waves, my breathing, and my legs. It took an hour and a half to hook me up and of course, fill out forms, answering loads of questions about my sleep habits. I was finally put to bed at 11:30 p.m. and told to go to sleep, which is not an easy task. I eventually fall asleep to the sounds coming from the next room (another gentleman was in there, making the most hideous yawning noises). Two hours later, I awaken because I have to make a washroom visit. I am unplugged and told to carry a large box which all the wires are connected to.  Washroom visit done, I am put back to bed and plugged in again. An hour or so later, I am woken up by the technician because one of my wires has come loose on my head, more glue is affixed, wire attached, and again I am told to go back to sleep. I really don’t know how I slept at all, but I apparently did and was woken at 5:45 a.m. to be told the study was finished. I am unhooked, sent home, and told my results will be sent to my family doctor.

This is me: IMG00028-20120501-2335

8 Replies to “Exhaustion”

  1. I am so sorry to hear of your dilemma and it really is a dilemma. *Fingers crossed* that you are feeling like your old self sooner than soon.

  2. my friend has the same exhaustion and symptoms.. and although people are of course very different, she turned out to have Chronic Fatigue… either way, I hope you get this sorted out because it must feel awful to be so tired beyond tired! XXXX Please dont assume its all bad and that you may have CFS… the last thing I want to do is scare peoXXXX

  3. I’ve had the sleep studies done repeatedly. Once to diagnose sleep apnea, once to have the CPAP set up and once (after weight loss) to clear me of the diagnosis of sleep apnea. I hope to NEVER have to go through that again! I can commisserate about how difficult it is to sleep with all that crap glued/wrapped around you!

    1. Trying to get all that glue out of my head was also not fun. Plus, the technician used some sort of sandpaper to scrap my face sufficiently enough for the gunk to stick to me. I still have scratches a week later. Never again.

Comments are closed.

%d bloggers like this: