Kerosene Lanterns

Hubby and I had just returned from camping in Bon Echo Provincial Park when it reminded me of our family camping excursion to Killbear Provincial Park years ago with our children. The eldest was five, middle child three, and the teenage boy was two. It was pretty amazing what a good time we were having that week considering most of it had been spent in the kitchen tent due to rain. The kids had been through most of their clothing, so when it had finally stopped raining I washed all of their socks which were covered in mud and then dried them over a fire. Once they were dried, they were warm but smelled quite smoky, the kids of course didn’t mind, they were troopers. During the evening we would sit in the kitchen tent playing games with light from one of our kerosene lanterns.

One evening though, turned out to be quite frightening. The one kerosene lantern we were using was quite old and probably not our best choice. The kids were sitting around the picnic table, I was at the other end in a lawn chair and hubby was sitting across from middle child, filling the lantern with kerosene. One minute all was quite calm as we were watching hubby work on the lantern when for some reason the lantern sprayed kerosene all over middle child. In a split second, hubby had middle child in his arms telling her to keep her eyes and mouth open as I poured jugs of water over her face and body. When all the water was used up, middle child was in awe of what was happening but not understanding the seriousness of the situation. Once we realized she was okay, hubby took her to the comfort station for a long shower to make sure there was no lingering kerosene on her. After that frightful evening, the kerosene lantern was disposed of and never to be used again.  We still use kerosene lanterns but they are new and when filled, hubby is far away from everyone.

2 Replies to “Kerosene Lanterns”

Comments are closed.

%d bloggers like this: